--------------------

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What Do I Look For In A Book?

Okay, so the writing craving has come back with a vengeance and I was just laying in my room trying to think of what to write while I listened to 'The Host' playlist (Stephenie Meyer Book, I like to listen to playlists while I read sometimes, and she had a whole list of songs that she listened to when she wrote the book ^.^ A lot of Authors do that and I love it!). I then looked over at my book shelves and it came to me! What is it that I look for in a book? Why do I rate books the way I do? what is the reason behind this?

So I'm going to go general for a second and say I'm definitely attracted to the paranormal/fiction Genre and I can't stand non-fiction. I think one of the reasons for this is because Twilight was the book that started it all for me and it was my first romance book also, sure I knew some good books and wanted to read, but Twilight sucked me into the world of books! So once I finished that book I started looking for more. Because Twilight had been a vampire book I started looking for more of those and became comfortable with it. (I'm still in the vampire craze) I really can't seem to get away from vampire books because almost all of the books I've read about vampires have been awesome, its a safe path for me. I really don't like straying from the path, if I find something comfortable I stick with it. So after a while of all vampire books I began to think "Hey, I wonder what other fairy tale-ish books there are? What about Fairies, Werewolves and Witches?" Right now I'm in my 'everything-paranormal' phase.

I've found that I'm attracted to books that have a romantic theme or anything that hints to attraction. I'm a sap for romantic movies, so naturally that would appeal to me. I like Paranormal books, as I said above, because they can have two layers of problems to keep the story going, regular everyday problems and supernatural ones and they can even heighten normal occurrences to something challenging (Only in paranormal books do nose bleeds have the potential to be lethal) I know I really don't like to many books where guys are the main characters, it just doesn't give me anything to connect with. I also like it when the MC gets captured or taken. I love watching how they plan to escape and I feel victorious along side her when she gets away and beats up her captors in the process :D Or if the MC affects one of her captors and gets him or her to be on her side to help her out. It really just makes the adventure more exciting and gets me to root for the MC even more! Being captured lets me see that hey, shes not all powerful but shes not a total wuss either.

That’s really all of the main things that I like in a book, there are a lot of little things but I really don’t have time to go into everything. Tell me what you think? What makes your favorite book?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a lot like you. I like fantasy sci-fi stuff. Anything that doesn't have to do with reality, but I will read those if they are good enough.:)

    ReplyDelete