--------------------

Monday, April 26, 2010

Miss. Moo Cow

This is a little project I had to do for Creative writing, It had to be about a real event in my childhood, I'm still not done with it but I'll give you the unfinished version for now. Tell me what you think?

Miss. Moo Cow

Awareness ,of any and all kinds, is often found when it is most unexpected. It jumps out at you and smacks you square in the face, covering you with its sticky, gooey reality, when most unwanted. You can stagger back, and claw at the surface or stand there stunned while the sappy mess invades the pure innocents of your mind. Sometimes its harmless, other times it can rock the very foundations of what you were taught. The only thing you can really do, Is accept it. Maybe even explore it.

When I was six, living in sunny Clearwater Florida. I would often have friends over, just like any other kid, and I spend most my time outside. I was adventurous, always making up stories in my head to spice up my all too boring six year old life. My favorite past time though, was make forts out of anything I could get my grubby little hands on.

And this time me and my friend Jamie, a full year older then me, and therefore; much wiser, were underground cave dwellers. orphans cave dwellers (the very best kind, who needs adults?). And everybody knows that cave dwellers need a cave. Naturally, Jamie and I wasted no time in gathering the tools necessary for such an act. We set to work with a plastic spoon and my mother’s garden trowel in hand.

First, we would have to map out a spot, for not just any spot would do for our secret underground lair, It had to be perfect. Said spot had to within walking distance of the house (So we could sneak in and steal drinks and food that were so carelessly left in plain view and easy reach by the residents)and be well hidden so that no one would stumble upon it and take us back to the dreaded orphanage.

And then alas, after an exhausting five minutes, we had found the perfect spot! Just behind my mother’s ferns, the plants would give excellent coverage for the entrance to our hideout. With excited smiles we dug into the earth, eager to be done so that we could brag to our friends that we had the only underground fort in the neighborhood.

And then, when we were a good foot into the ground I saw something smooth from under the dirt, and with soiled fingers I brushed it off, only to find it was flat and rounded down into the ground. Excitement from this new find fueled me to dig deeper, digging around the strange object. Maybe it was some long lost treasure dropped by distant travelers long ago! Or some clue to unlock a secret door hidden further below the surface. Thoughts swarmed my head as I unearthed the strange ivory object.

There were cracks and holes in it and I turned the oddly shaped treasure around in my grimy hands. ‘Ohs’ and ‘aws’ were heard from my friend as I inspected our new discovery with wide eyes. And then, as Jamie traced the two identical, oval like holes towards what seemed to be the top of the bizarre find, my body froze, I could feel my eyes get larger as I stared at it. Recognition flickered in my mind, back to the family cabin, Where I stood in front of a big black and white spotted dairy cow, petting the scruff atop its head and looking into its big, round brown eyes . . .

I dropped the cow skull and darted for the confines of my room, shouts from my mother rebounded off the walls in protest to my filthy body and the carpet. But I ignored her. With tears streaming down my face I flung myself onto my bed and scrambled over to my stuffed cow I had fondly named Miss. Moo Cow and pulled her into my arms, tears mixed with the dirt and matted into her fur as I rubbed my face back in forth against her. I couldn't believe it, the fact that a cute little cow (that could have very well been related to Miss. Moo Cow) had died in my backyard was too much for me to handle.

After a few minutes of crying it out my friend came in with my mother and I told them all about it. Jamie though, took a different reaction to the realization that what we had found was a skull of a cow. She went on and on about how cool it was and wanted to go back to the yard and start digging for the rest of its bones. I couldn't fathom the reason why she thought it was cool that we had found the bones of a cow in my backyard! What tragedies had befallen the poor, gentle giant?

Thats it for now, I'll be working on it a little each day ^.^

4 comments:

  1. This is really funny, Jen! I liked it. You said it was true? Or based on truth? How much is true? There were a few typos but the story was very engaging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the story, Jen!! It really is funny, and there is some good imagery in there!

    ReplyDelete